Master’s Degree Program in Sweden

Swedish universities have more than 600 master’s degree programs that are taught in English. There are basically two types of master’s degree programs, ‘magisterexamen’ consisting of one year and the ‘masterexamen’ that involves two years of study.

The ‘masterexamen’ or two year master’s programs are conducted only by state universities or private institutes that have the power to sanction doctorates.

The pre-requisite for applying to any master’s degree program is completion of an initial degree or diploma course that corresponds to 180 ECTS. This implies that an individual should have completed a three year full time undergraduate course. So essentially it requires an individual to have a bachelor’s degree to be able to apply for a master’s degree. In addition, the students should prove that they are proficient in English by passing either TOEFL or IELTS.

All master’s programs in Sweden impart education through various methods such as lectures, seminars, discussions, degree thesis, case-studies and group work. The master’s courses offer many opportunities for implementing the theoretical knowledge obtained into practice. This is because many programs provide a close cooperation with the industry. This helps in acquiring a job post study also.

The application process for master’s degree is very simple. There is a central service where you can apply for up to four master’s degree programs in Sweden. You have to send these applications via the central application service; namely Most of the master’s degree programs in Sweden begin during autumn. So the application deadline is the mid of January. After this each institutes assesses the applications based on various criteria like grades, previous courses studies, work experience if any etc.

There are a few formalities for foreign students. All foreign students or those from non–EU countries are acquired to obtain a student resident permit if they are studying for more than three months in the country. Again these resident permits can only be acquired in the student has been accepted into a full time study program by a university.

In addition, you should have health insurance and provide proof that you have financial support of SEK 7300 every month to be able to live in the country. Some of the foreign students will also require visa to study in Sweden, but this applies to only a few countries. All these rules and regulations can be found out at the student migration board.