- How To Start A Career In PharmacyPosted 599 days ago
- Career In Investment BankingPosted 599 days ago
- Various Careers In The Field Of Medical AdministrationPosted 599 days ago
- 5 Interior Decorating Schools In South AfricaPosted 599 days ago
- Business Administration Course RequirementsPosted 602 days ago
- Customer Care Training CoursesPosted 603 days ago
- Courses To Take For A Homeopathic CollegePosted 603 days ago
Studying At The University Of Melbourne
The University of Melbourne is located in Melbourne, Australia. It is a public university. The University of Melbourne was established in 1853. It is the second oldest university in Australia. In the state of Victoria, the University of Melbourne is the oldest university.
The university has the motto – ‘We grow in the esteem of future generations’. As of 2008, The University of Melbourne had 3,328 faculty members and 35,533 students. Of the students at the university, as of 2008, 25,578 were undergraduate students and 9,955 were graduate students. The university had an endowment of 1.105 billion Australian dollars as of December 2008.
The chancellor of the University of Melbourne is Alex Chernov and the vice-chancellor of the university is Glyn Davis. The university is affiliated to the Group of Eight (which is a group of eight tertiary educational universities in Australia) and Universitas 21.
The university is very highly ranked not only in Australia but on worldwide rankings of various agencies as well. The University of Melbourne lays huge emphasis on the research aspect of eduction. In fact, it occupies the second position in Australia in terms of the amount of research done, second only to CSIRO.
The university spent 653.7 million Australian dollars on research in 2008. Various disciplines in the University of Melbourne, including engineering, medicine, business, education, law and arts rank among the most sought after course both among Australian students as well as international applicants.
In 2009, the University of Melbourne was ranked at number 36 in the world by the Times Higher Education Supplement. In the Financial Times MBA Rank, it was ranked at number 52 in the world in 2009. It has consistently ranked within the top 5 in Australia and the top 100 in the world in almost all rankings.
The main campus of the University of Melbourne is located in Parkville (which is located in the Melbourne Central Business District). There are a large number of campuses all over the state of Victoria as well. In addition, the university also has several affiliated colleges. These are Trinity College, Ormond College, Janet Clark Hall, St Mary’s College, Queen’s College, Newman College, Medley Hall, Whitley College, Ridley College, University College, International House, Graduate House and St Hilda’s College.
The various faculties and their corresponding graduate schools (where applicable) of the university are:
- Faculty of Arts (Graduate School – Graduate School of Humanities and Social Sciences)
- Faculty of Education (Graduate School – Melbourne Graduate School of Education)
- Faculty of Engineering (Graduate School – Melbourne Graduate School of Engineering)
- Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences
- Faculty of Business and Economics (Graduate School – Graduate School of Business and Economics)
- Faculty of Architecture, Building and Planning (Graduate School – Melbourne School of Design)
- Faculty of Law (Graduate School – Melbourne Law School)
- Faculty of the VCA (Victorian College of the Arts) and Music
- Melbourne School of Graduate Research
- Faculty Science (Graduate School – Melbourne Graduate School of Science)
- Faculty of Veterinary Science
- Melbourne School of Land and Environment
The University of Melbourne is a very respected university and its graduates at all level are viewed with respect in all fields of life. As a result, the university is very popular both among indigenous as well as international applicants. Entry is based on a number of factors and there are country-specific requirements as well. This makes entry to the university extremely competitive.