One of the most important aspects of applying to the colleges of your choice is writing the college admission essay. Though your application form will provide all the information about you and your scores will show how you have been academically – all the things which are set and cannot be changed, but your essay is one thing over which you have total control.
Given below are some steps to help you create the most powerful and successful college admission essays-
• Select your essay topic carefully. Take time, discuss it with your friends, family and other acquaintances and collect ideas from them. Choose a topic which will really excite you.
• After selecting the topic, gather as much data as you can to complete your essay. The data should be comprehensive, informative and should be able to catch the reader’s attention.
• First make a brief outline and run it through in your mind or with someone who can give you constructive advice.
• Let the essay not be about how great you are and what your qualifications are. Your scores will show how smart you are, this essay should show how different you are from others.
• Your essay should have three parts: introduction, body text and final conclusion.
• Compose your college admission essay in such a way that your information and ideas are in a logical sequence.
• It should not only be informative, but engaging, a little humorous (if the topic allows for it) and compelling.
• Use simple words and make short and meaningful sentences .Do not use unnecessary words just to make your essay colorful.
• Do not try and copy from someone else’s essay, instead be authentic. This essay should be about you, your thinking, yourmotivations and inspirations.
• Proofread your essay for grammatical errors and spelling mistakes. Even a little of these errors will show that you have not prepared your essay with enough care.
• Avoid the use of abbreviations and acronyms. Do not use offensive tone, jargon and sexist language.
It is very important to be really focused on the topic of the essay and not include all the incidents of your life in the essay. It will unnecessarily lengthen the essay and confuse the reader. So, it is very important to write your essay in a way that it will leave a long lasting impression on the reader.